Monday, January 19, 2009

The last day

I cannot believe it is almost over, eight long years. I have been waiting for this day for so long. I remember clearly the election night of 2000, I went to bed with Al Gore declared the winner. Karl woke me up about 20 minutes later to say that they made a mistake and were now declaring for Bush. I started to cry, Karl thought I was crazy and said, it will be ok. It won't be as good as with Al, but it will be ok. I said don't you remember? the 80's Regan, his father? It's going to be people laid off, and the rich get richer, there will be a war. No he said, no wars, who would we fight. I told him Iraq, that I had heard a conversation that Bush had made years ago, that he said, we should have finished the job when we had the chance. Karl thought I was wrong, oh, how I wish that I had been.

It is almost over, almost so close. I find myself holding my breath in anticipation. My wonderful employer emailed today, this is a once in a lifetime experience stay home watch it. Come to work later. I cried when I read it, just like I am sure I will cry tomorrow, just like I cried on election night in November, but for very different reasons then those 8 long years ago.

I have heard many learned leaders from the civil rights movement talk about this historic presidency of Barack Obama, and I agree. But for me, it isn't that he is making history by who he is, it is by what he says, what he promises to bring to this country and what he expects of me, and asks of me that makes this an historic presidency, one that I have been waiting for all of my life. I read of Lincoln, of FDR, of Kennedy. But I wondered, where is my leader, where is my opportunity for greatness. I am so grateful to President Obama for taking up the challenge, for understanding what he is here for and know how to make it happen, and for knowing that he is not in this alone. Yes the presidency will be a lonely job, but he will not be alone. We are going with him. And we will trust him to take us where we need to go. I am ready.

No comments: