Sunday, January 25, 2009

Health

I am reading a book called The UltraMind Solution, and quite frankly I'm frightened. It is very hard to hear that you are basically killing yourself and the solution is in your control. It should be very empowering, so why does his 6 week plan, where i have to cut out all sugar and all gluten products and all dairy products scaring the hell out of me? I know that I can't continue on my path if I intend to stay healthy. and the reason that I began reading the book in the first place is because, I don't feel bad about my weight, I don't feel my life is diminished, unless we start talking about my longevity or my cognitive abilities. One of the few things I have that makes me extremely happy is my good mind. It works well and can make the connections and synapses and knows and remembers. At 46 I am beginning to see the signs of age and wear, that is too soon and I know is not necessary. The author, Mark Hyman, M.D. makes a valid case for the mind/body connection and the need to cut fat, cut, sugar, cut gluten from the diet, so that your brain is given all the optimal fuel it needs. As Michael Pollen says: Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. It is my new mantra. Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Everybody - say it with me.

OK the book is not finished yet, I have a few more chapters. I am planning on starting the 6 week program on February 16th, 2009. This will get me thru Karl's brothers visit (don't get me started), Valentine's day, and the Volunteer luncheon at Harmony Hill, which I am expected to attend. I will feel better if I slowly begin taking the supplements and cutting things back, without having to explain to others that I am trying a new plan that will improve my brain function.

This will also dovetail nicely with my garden plans. I am hopeful to have a small garden this year. We will be ordering a small composting bin this next week and some seeds soon too. In keeping with that please go to White House Farmer to vote for the White House Farmer. I voted for Carrie Little from Washington State. Obviously, I'm partisan because she is a homey, but read what others say about her and I think you too will be convinced that she would make a fabulous choice. Well that's all for now, have to go read some more of the book... YIKES

No comments: